Thursday, March 17, 2011

Shake What Your Momma Gave Ya!!

I met a work out buddy the other day at the YMCA.  If you have been following me for a little bit, you know the Gremlins have been taking swim lessons there, if not you can catch up on it here.  Well, my bud is a fellow mom of multiples, she has adorable triplets and a teen, and she absolutely rocks!!!
She gets me MOVING, play dates, coordinating stuff for the kids at the YMCA, and now working out.  She was the one who suggested we try signing up for a Zumba class.  I have always been intrigued with the idea, but always felt I may have been overwhelmed because I am so out of shape, and not to mention the fear of looking foolish.  I just couldn't shake the scene from Stephen King's "Carrie" during the prom and all you can hear is her mother chanting, "They're all gonna laugh at you."
 
Image courtesy of stockphoto


But, I couldn't wuss out, I had just met my buddy, and I skeptically agreed. 


First class was mighty interesting.  It was kind of hard to follow the instructor, but the moves were up beat, the music was excillerating, and I was MOVING!!!!..  I was actually enjoying it, after about the third song, I glanced at the clock, and the sence of relief was amazing.  The class was almost over, and I MADE it.  I looked over at my friend, with that overwhelming sence of self accomplishment and smiled.  She smiled back, (at this point I'm nodding and smiling even harder, because I KNOW what she's thinking.. we MADE it) she points to her watch, and says, "We're half way there." 

Honestly, I was at a loss for words, but felt like I had nothing left in me to keep going and although my body felt horrible, the fear of the shame kept me right there, shaking and dancing on.


When the class was finally over, I was beat, but so very proud of myself.  I soon came to the realization that this really wasn't so bad, I actually felt GOOD.  I hadn't felt THIS good in YEARS.  Actually, loved it so much I ran out and bought the Zumba for our Kinect the next day.  NOW? I can't get enough of it,  I absolutely LOVE our Zumba class.  Although I must admit Mondays are the best... I think all the seniors flock to that class, and it gives me more mass to hide behind...

 elderly exercise 2
Image courtesy of stockphoto


 I have been struggling with losing the last 35lbs, and I'm truly hoping this will help.  I guess if I can be completely honest I haven't been trying TOO hard.  I have absolutely NO discipline when it comes to curbing my eating.  I'm a self diagnosed food addict, and that is probably why NO diet has ever truly worked for me.  It wasn't until I started slowly changing SIMPLE things to the way I cook and eat that I've lost the 115lbs.  Don't get me wrong, I feel that in itself is a great accomplishment, but I've gotten stuck.

http://cf.ltkcdn.net/exercise/images/slide/129066-600x450-burger-and-weights.jpg

Image courtesy of stockphoto



 I love to eat, I think more than ANYTHING else in this world. 
It really is quite sad, and my body shows it...
So, what makes TODAY any different, you ask?
NOTHING!!!!

But, I love ya Zumba... I think I have found something that works... YAY!!!

X0X0 Always 0X0X, . . . . . .

.

Blogger Tips - Get This Gadget

4 comments:

  1. Love your blog and wanted to pass on a little award!

    http://www.ramblingsofastayathomemom.com/2011/03/we-received-another-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard so much about Zumba, but I haven't mustered the courage to try it. I have two left feet that refuse to do anything I tell them to. Good luck and have fun with your new routine! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great Lisa.After you learn you can teach the twins. That would be so cute. The three of you doing the Zumba together. If you are like me and can't stop eating make sure you keep exercising.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! Zumba rocks - I did it over the summer & even own the DVD's (though it's much more motivating in a group)! I stopped months ago due to time but I need to go back - I felt so good doing it!

    Congrats & keep it up girl! :)

    Bernadette

    ReplyDelete

WE absolutely LOVE comments... Thank you for taking the time to stop by, and I appreciate you leaving me your thoughts and ideas...