Friday, January 21, 2011

Mi Casa, Mi Casa...

This is a RANT.. Plain and simple... VENTING!!!!

I'm a little heated, and quite frankly whining... If you want, just scroll down to a happy chipper post, if NOT? You've been warned....

http://www.plu.edu/%7Eallenka/img/House_Front.jpg

We are a military family, and when we hit our second duty station (since being married, third if you count Italy where we were BOTH stationed and met) in 99' we decided to try and make the best of it, and settle down.  We always knew there was a chance we'd have to leave, but figured while we were there we'd try to make it home for as long as possible and bought a little house.  Well, after a GOOD run we had to leave last year, and though it pained me to leave my friends, my family, my life, it was inevitable, and I counted my blessings that it lasted as long as it did.

We were of course faced with the decision of WHAT to do with our home, the only home our gremlins had ever know, and with this economy the way it is we decided to try and rent it out.  I'm here to tell you... Being a landlord is NOT all fun and games...

We found another military family to rent the house, and were elated.  A great family. BUT it's been nothing but issues form the beginning.  I'm not placing blame, OK maybe a little, and I'm sure she has a whole other rant but this is MY story Damn IT!!.  But, where do I begin?

First week in, they complained about roaches, now honestly, in the 11 years we've lived there if I saw FOUR it was A LOT.  It's a waterfront property on a lake so Palmetto bugs are NOT ! out of the question, but the odd thing was they mentioned they had a roach infestation at the LAST house they lived in (hmmmmm).   We dealt back and forth with the exterminator, he exclaimed that maybe the house being empty for 4 days may have caused a few to come in, but NOT an infestation like they were describing.   They tried several different solutions and finally decided to fumigate the ENTIRE house including in the siding.  Once this was done the exterminator exclaimed that he was shocked that he did not see a single roach in the house.  Usually when this type of procedure is done, it's an overwhelming site to see them all come running out of the walls and all over the floors, but not a ONE...

We moved past that, quite frankly I just wanted to keep them happy (first time landlord after all).

NEXT was the complaints about the AC, the electric bill, the heat.. It was unusually HOT this year EVERYWHERE.. But OK, we had guys out to clean the ducts, to recharge the AC, to replace parts, etc.  Then the heater is not heating enough.. COME ON..  AGAIN it's ridiculously unusually COLD this winter again EVERYWHERE..  DH and I NEVER seemed to have ANY issues, it just throws me for a loop that all of a sudden in just 6 months it's all turned to crap?  Either that or he and I were just TOO complacent with everything.

Well, the final kick in the balls was a nice e-mail I received yesterday that they are not happy and it doesn't feel like "home". DUH!! It's NOT home, you're renting it.. If you want a "home" Buy one.. /sigh/ That they don't feel it's worth the rent, and we would either have to come down on the price or they are not reupping the lease.  I said more power to them.. Go ahead and go, quite frankly I think it's worth that and MORE!!! It's HOME to ME!!!

Today when I spoke with them, they mentioned that maybe I can find someone like them that didn't know any better to pay that kind of rent and that it was false advertising that i lied about the square footage, that they are uncomfortable because the house is too small.  NOW, COME ON!!! I can't MAKE the house BIGGER, if you need more room, find a bigger house.   Plus I think they just accused me of not only lying but taking advantage of them... I was speechless.

ANOTHER complain? They have to dust every 2 days.  Can someone tell me how that's MY fault?  Dust is dead skin... There are 5 of them and a dog... Either reduce the inhabitants of the house, change the filters, (cause they had us clean the ducts this summer so it's NOT that), dust and get OVER it, or use more LOTION.. Bwahahhahaha.

I did a search in the area, and the rent is actually comparable if not a little lower than houses that size in the neighborhood. I'm just perplexed.. lol.. Am I being unreasonable?

Sincerely,

Blogger Tips - Get This Gadget

19 comments:

  1. Nope. I think you are being perfectly reasonable. Sounds like they are just being asses. I think you did the right thing when you told them to go ahead and move. You don't need the stress they cause!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with your last comment on this one. Good riddance!

    Clay

    http://tantrumstroublesandtreasures.blogspot.com/2011/01/is-it-ok-to-lie-to-my-kids.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi im your new follower. Im sorry your tenants and dumb! but I did find some humor in your post, it was so ridiculous it was funny ya know

    Have a good weekend!

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, they are annoying me already and I just heard about them today. Hope you can find some better people that realize they are RENTING and appreciate your home. Hope your weekend is better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow good riddance to a BIG headache, its a blessing im sure u dont need the stress.....ur family is beautiful, new follower:) http://hugatreewithme2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! horrible tenants! sounds like they were trying to get the rent reduced in a really rude way. you should hire a property manager - that way they can deal with tenants and be able to check on issues like non-existent roaches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You have some pain in the ass tenants! That stressed me out just reading it! Haha! Good riddance!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you guys SOOOOOO much for all the kind words... It's been really hard to keep my chin up... ALL of them.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with everyone above! Good Grief!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think they are being the unreasonable ones.

    Found you via Lucas's Journey w/SPD's
    Sensational Weekend Social! Now Following
    http://subtlesouthernsnapshots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lisa. Sorry about all the problems. It is a tough job being a landlord.You have to try to toughen yourself up a bit.You are a nice person. Only thing is it shows to the bad tenants and they will try to take advantage of you. Hopefully you will get some good ones next time.
    Give the twins a hug for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Lisa so sorry this happened to you guys! You are not being unreasonable! You ahve gone above and beyond to make them happy. The place is obviously not for them and you will be better off without them - sounds like such a headache.

    Keep positive! Think of this as a way to find the family that really belongs in your house! :)

    Bernadette
    http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. You deserve to rant and rave after all the b.s. you had to go through with that! Some people just refuse to be happy with anything. Oh and the roach deal...you'd think they'd put two and two together. Great blog. I'm a newbie here and with blogging in general.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Fun Follow Friday! I am a follower! I hope you will stop by my blog and follow back!

    Sincerely,
    Emma Michaels
    http://EmmaMichaels.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am your newest follower from the weekend blog hops. About those tenants, sounds like your lucky to be rid of them.
    kittycrochettwo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a nightmare. I don't think I could ever be a landlord. There are some people who are never happy!

    Following now from Surf & Relax Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am a new follower, feel free to follow back www.thatshakerofsalt.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm a new follower from Lucy's blog hop. I sure hoe the door doesn't hit the in the butt on the way out ;) I hope you can find some new tenants quickly. (ones who are less maintenance) Thank you so much for your familiy's sacrafices.

    ReplyDelete
  19. yah i'd say they need a good ole boot to da curb.

    ReplyDelete

WE absolutely LOVE comments... Thank you for taking the time to stop by, and I appreciate you leaving me your thoughts and ideas...