Saturday, December 11, 2010

They won't leave.....

Well, it's the holiday season, but I'm sure you don't need ME to remind ya... If you're like me, your wallet has been screaming at ya since Black Friday... (NOT a big fan of the holidays, just for the record)


Well, as my ability to escape the wave of Christmas songs EVERYWHERE was going wrong, I found myself listening to "we wish you a merry Christmas"


 Although we like THIS version better... bwhahahaha



Bob Rivers... Now that's Christmas songs I could listen to.. lol



OK back on track... where I was actually going with this post.. That song (The original) got me thinking.. if you really listen to the lyrics.. Them folks are CRAZY... They actually threaten NOT to leave your house till you give them Figgy Pudding... What is figgy pudding you ask?? (I know I did??) and HOW do you get some.. (OR you can be like me, and just NOT open the door... bwahahahaha)



http://inlinethumb27.webshots.com/19546/2027883660026810403S200x200Q85.jpg

Figgy Pudding with Custard Sauce

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large egg yolks
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons rum extract (or flavored extract of your choice)
1 apple, peeled and cored and finely chopped
1 pound dried figs, ground or finely chopped
Grated peel of 1 lemon and 1 orange
1 cup chopped nuts
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 1/2 cups dried bread crumbs
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 large egg whites, stiffly beaten
 
Custard Sauce:
 
2 cups milk
1 large egg
3/4 cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon butter
 
Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
 
 
  1. Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Generously grease an oven-proof 2-quart bowl or mold; set aside.
  2. Cream together butter and shortening. Gradually add sugar, egg yolks, milk, extract, apple, figs, lemon and orange peel. Add next 6 ingredients, mixing well. Fold stiffly beaten egg whites into mixture.
  3. Pour into prepared bowl or mold and place into large shallow pan and place on middle rack in oven. Fill the shallow pan half-full with boiling water and slowly steam pudding in oven at 325°F (160°C) for 4 hours, replacing water as needed.
  4. For Custard Sauce: In saucepan, scald milk and allow to cool.
  5. Mix together remaining ingredients, except for butter. Add to cooled milk. Cook over low heat until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in butter, mixing well.
  6. Serve pudding warm with custard sauce or sweetened whipped cream. Store unused portions in refrigerator.






Sincerely,



Blogger Tips - Get This Gadget

4 comments:

  1. LOL. Now we know! Not a big fan of the Holidays here either. Trying to do better but maybe I should just give up and embrace my Grinch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lisa, that is just too funny! I've never had "figgy pudding," However, I have had fig jam on cheese and crackers and loved it :-) I'm following from Tara's Weekend Blog Hop and am looking forward to browsing your blog. You can find me over at http://www.theskinnyonmini.blogspot .com and http://inherpeace-janetsjournal.blogspot.com/ Have a great weekend. ~ Blessings, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    I'm stopping by from Social Parade. I'm already a follower, but I wanted to let you know I'm giving away a $75 Gift Card to Sears! Hope you'll stop by and enter!

    Frugal Invitation
    http://www.frugalinvitation.com
    http://twitter.com/frugalinvite

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always wondered what figgy pudding was. Thanks for clearing that up for me!!

    ReplyDelete

WE absolutely LOVE comments... Thank you for taking the time to stop by, and I appreciate you leaving me your thoughts and ideas...