Well, as my ability to escape the wave of Christmas songs EVERYWHERE was going wrong, I found myself listening to "we wish you a merry Christmas"
Although we like THIS version better... bwhahahaha
Bob Rivers... Now that's Christmas songs I could listen to.. lol
OK back on track... where I was actually going with this post.. That song (The original) got me thinking.. if you really listen to the lyrics.. Them folks are CRAZY... They actually threaten NOT to leave your house till you give them Figgy Pudding... What is figgy pudding you ask?? (I know I did??) and HOW do you get some.. (OR you can be like me, and just NOT open the door... bwahahahaha)
Figgy Pudding with Custard Sauce
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons rum extract (or flavored extract of your choice)
- 1 apple, peeled and cored and finely chopped
- 1 pound dried figs, ground or finely chopped
- Grated peel of 1 lemon and 1 orange
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cups dried bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 large egg whites, stiffly beaten
- Custard Sauce:
- 2 cups milk
1 large egg
3/4 cups granulated sugar
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon butter
- Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Generously grease an oven-proof 2-quart bowl or mold; set aside.
- Cream together butter and shortening. Gradually add sugar, egg yolks, milk, extract, apple, figs, lemon and orange peel. Add next 6 ingredients, mixing well. Fold stiffly beaten egg whites into mixture.
- Pour into prepared bowl or mold and place into large shallow pan and place on middle rack in oven. Fill the shallow pan half-full with boiling water and slowly steam pudding in oven at 325°F (160°C) for 4 hours, replacing water as needed.
- For Custard Sauce: In saucepan, scald milk and allow to cool.
- Mix together remaining ingredients, except for butter. Add to cooled milk. Cook over low heat until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in butter, mixing well.
- Serve pudding warm with custard sauce or sweetened whipped cream. Store unused portions in refrigerator.