Monday, July 26, 2010

Pull out the Hazmat Suits, We're contagious!!!

Saturday evening when we were getting ready to head home from the In-Law's I notice a small red spot on Luna's heal, and really didn't think too much of it.. Looked sort of like a small pinch...
Then, Yesterday afternoon when we were getting them ready for their nap, I noticed that same small spot had gotten larger, and the outer area was turning from red to purplish, and there were MORE spots, and there were some on the OTHER foot and toes.. I started to get concerned..
I immediately called to make an appointment.  OF COURSE, no one there on a Sunday right?  I started freaking out.. (as only I'm sure I do).. Called my sister and Father-in-Law (both were/are in the medical field in the Navy) just needed someone to tell me it'll be alright to wait till the next day to get things sorted... No such luck.. /Sigh/

I debated taking them in to the ER.. REALLY wanted to avoid that if at all possible.  Two 2 yr old toddlers in an ER is a disaster waiting to happen.. It's like shopping for MORE diseases while waiting for a few 100 hours...

So I turned to my good friend Google.. Do you know Google is the DEVIL to parents of small children who are looking for a diagnosis.  Everything from heat rash to LEUKEMIA was popping up.. Now, I'm sweating.. Not to mention my much needed nap went out the window, but I'm glad my DH was able to enjoy it for me.. I swear men can sleep through ANYTHING.. I digress..

I finally came up to a good little website, that mentioned Coxsakie Disease or Hand Foot and Mouth Disease.. HFMD for short.. and it all fit..
Hand, foot, and mouth disease is a contagious viral illness that commonly affects infants and children. There is no cure, I guess like most if not all viruses those suckers have to run their course.. /sigh/ BUT I did learn you can prevent it.. JOY!!! a little late for THAT lesson.. hahaha

I read up on the symptoms...

  • Fever (check) about Wednesday she got a little warm and started acting, well, OFF!
  • Poor appetite (check) she has never been a BIG eater, but she eats WELL.. and some of her favorites, just weren't getting touched..
  • A couple of days after the fever starts, painful sores can develop in the mouth.(check) She has been complaining and trying to get me to put my finger in her mouth.. we did figure she bit her cheek, but this explains it.. (bad Mommy for not LOOKING)
  • A skin rash with flat or raised red spots can also develop, usually on the palms of the hands and soles of the feet and sometimes on the buttocks. This rash may blister, but it will not itch. (BIG CHECK) ahhh haaaa BY GEORGE I think we've found our winner!!!!

Just as I was reading up on it, the Doc on Duty at the Base calls us back... So, I tell her what I found and she giggles.. "I was just about to tell you THAT" she exclaims.. woot woot.. Doc L. in the HOUSE.. hahaha

Although ultimately she is still sick and the doc said it was inevitable that Star will get it too.  Turns out HFMD is moderately contagious. It's spread by direct contact with nose and throat discharges, saliva, fluid from blisters, or the stool of infected persons.  GREAT!! My girls don't play with their stool, and don't do day care, so the wheels immediately started turning as to WHERE, HOW, WHO??? I have NO idea.. We haven't even hung out with other little ones since we moved her a month ago..  But, none the less we just have to be careful not to spread it now.. It turns out kiddos with HFMD are most contagious during the first week, but can spread the virus that causes HFMD weeks after symptoms have gone away. AWESOME.. QUARANTINE with 2 toddlers for (as the doc said) 4-6 weeks.....

I was non the less relieved.. NO ER visit for us.. and at least I KNOW what it is.. The NOT knowing part is torture for me.. (self proclaimed control NUT here)


We WERE advised to push lots of fluids and avoid citrus.. I guess for the obvious reasons.. and here mommy was giving the grapefruit, limes, etc.. Also the doc recommended Tylenol, to help with the discomfort..


Another point was that WE (mom and dad) can get it too, it's not exclusive to little ones.. hahaha so, try and prevent infection at all cost.. YEAH!

  • Frequently washing hands
  • Thoroughly cleaning objects and surfaces (toys, doorknobs, etc.) that may be contaminated with a virus that causes HFMD;
  • Avoiding close contact (like kissing and hugging) with people who are infected.



Now, WHAT is it a sick toddler wants more than ANYTHING in the world?? 

Hugs and Kisses.. 

Sorry DOC, that last one is a TALL order..  So, we'll do our best to prevent it from happening again and hopefully mom and dad will stay healthy.. As for Star?? Last night she kept waking up EVERY 1/2 hour from 8pm to 2am.. and this morning, I found a little blister on her inner cheek...Well, I guess the brgiht side is the contagious stage will end around the same time... HAHAHAHA

Wish us luck!!!



Blogger Tips - Get This Gadget

10 comments:

  1. Awww poor things, and poor you! My first as to where it come from was ... the grocery cart from the store.
    I hope you're all up and around and feeling better soon. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the internet can be a dangerous place for searching for a diagnosis! Good thing you did not have to visit the ER! Good luck with this and we will keep you guys in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you guys so much.. It really blows when our critters are sick.. I think every fiber in our body as parents are wired to keep them happy n healthy, and this just makes us feel helpless... lol.. Thanks so much for the prayers n well wishes..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope everybody is feeling better soon.

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate to hear that the girls are sick. They are such cutie pies.At least there is no itching involved. Everyone get well soon. And I hope Mommy and Daddy don't catch it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, there's one I haven't heard of before. Thankfully, none of mine has managed to contract it. Sounds worse than chicken pox. :-) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor babies! My oldest had that when he was very little. We thought measles chickenpox...it was horrible not knowing. I did the same thing surfed the internet looking for answers. Sometimes its worse when you do that LOL. I always think the worse with them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks sooo much The support is greatly appreciated... I have been very lucky I think that it's really not as bad as it could be...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I came across your site from TTA to follow you. Oh my, those poor little ones...and you, of course! I know what it's like to have sick kiddos, so my heart goes out to you! I pray it's over with quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Found you through a blog hope.
    Looking forward to reading your blog

    http://modestmamamadness.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

WE absolutely LOVE comments... Thank you for taking the time to stop by, and I appreciate you leaving me your thoughts and ideas...