Monday, September 1, 2008

What ARE you?




Seems like every time you have to fill out a form or survey, there's that wonderful little question, what is your race?
Well, I don't consider myself Caucasian, African-American, Asian, etc. I'm Hispanic, and one of my biggest pet peeves is having to check one of those boxes. Well, if I'm not any of those, why should I have to choose. My husband on the other hand thinks it's hilarious. Of course he would, he fits into two of the categories. His father is Caucasian and his mother is pacific islander (from the Philippines) and yes they are both there. If I were him, I'd constantly check both just to piss people off. Hehehe.
To add insult to injury, when I had the girls, the nurse came in and asked me my race because she had to mark it on their birth certificates. I politely informed her that I was Hispanic. Well, she says this state does not recognize that as a race and I had to pick Caucasian or African American. WHAT? But I'm neither. But which of these would you consider yourself more? What exactly does that mean? It's like asking if you'd consider a dog more like a chicken or a duck? What is that?
I asked if they can just put there that they are pacific islander like their father? How can they be categorized as Caucasian or African American if they are not? I don't get it. Guess what, Nope. Has to be the mother's race (doesn't it seem like one big redundant loop of chaos to you? or is it just me?). Well, my girls are officially African-American, and nothing against Caucasians or anything else, it's just I figured the only way to make this obviously ridiculous rule seem even more ridiculous was to have two birth certificates saying my girls are black.
My husband of course thinks I'm totally crazy, but hey if nothing else, they can still qualify as a minority right. HA HA. I wonder sometimes what they would classify themselves as. I really have no choice both parents are Dominican, hence I consider myself Dominican, a no brainer ( and no spot on the top 5 races... hahaha). My husband on the other hand sides with his mother and considers himself Pacific Islander. Well, at least two of their choice will be on that list, Pacific Islander or Caucasian. Let's not forget African-American.

I suggest other: Filiminican





Blogger Tips - Get This Gadget

3 comments:

  1. Oh this is one of my pet peeves too! I'm a US Citizen, my ancestors are Swedish, Norweigan and Portuguese. Nothing on there fits.

    I mark "other". LOL

    Usually I get a frown and they say "you are Caucasian" and I say... nope. Am not.

    Hey, I just looked up the definition of Caucasian: People originating from the Caucasus region. ::blink:: I didn't know what that is, so I looked. The Caucasus region is: A mountain range in West Asia, between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea, on the territory of Russia, Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan.

    I'm not from there! LOL

    enough of putting folks into categories. That's what I say!

    ;)

    Love and Light,

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen a paper that only had two choices?!!?! That is ridiculous. Our state lists seven (or maybe its nine now) and Hispanic is number one at the top.

    However, I think I will start campaigning for Filiminican. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's ridiculous. Nothing is that cut and dry. Or, in this case, that black or white.

    ReplyDelete

WE absolutely LOVE comments... Thank you for taking the time to stop by, and I appreciate you leaving me your thoughts and ideas...