Saturday, September 13, 2008

Creative snacks.

My girls love to snack on finger foods, and being a first time mom, I'm sometime hesitant to just dive in and give them any old thing. First of all finger foods are considered any bite-size piece of food that your baby can pick up and eat by himself.
Some great ones include:
  • O-shaped toasted oat cereal
  • Lightly toasted bread or bagels (I sometimes spread on some vegetable or fruit puree)
  • Small chunks of banana or other very ripe peeled and pitted fruit, like mango, plum, pear, peach, cantaloupe, or seedless watermelon
  • Well-cooked pasta spirals, cut into pieces
  • Very small chunks of cheese
  • Small pieces of well-cooked vegetables, like carrots, peas, zucchini, potato, or sweet potato
  • Small well-cooked broccoli or cauliflower "trees"
  • Crackers broken into small pieces

Make sure your baby is ready for finger foods. Most babies will show signs areond 7-9 months, and you'll be able to tell. Your baby will start trying to grab your food right off your plate and even your spoon and try to feed himself. Not only is it fun for your baby, it's an important early step toward independence adn the developmnt of mototr skills and coordination. Even though some of these can be messy, let your baby enjoy, it's an important hands-on learning experience. I've found it to be an experiemnt or trial and error, so I figured I'd share some of what I found. What do or did you give ypur babies at this stage?






Blogger Tips - Get This Gadget

0 comments:

Post a Comment

WE absolutely LOVE comments... Thank you for taking the time to stop by, and I appreciate you leaving me your thoughts and ideas...