Saturday, July 26, 2008

What planet are you from???



I was driving the other day when I happened to overhear a conversation between my mom and my niece who's 8. My mom has mentioned that she's a permanent resident alien, and of course the only thing she hears is blah blah blah blah alien. So, she innocently asks, "What planet are you from mama?" I can't help but to snicker. My mom says, "This one." She says, "No REALLY, Now I understand why Tita (that's me) is so weird. Is papa (my father) an alien too?" Now it was taking all I had to keep it in. Finally my mom goes on to explain to her that she was a Dominican native that came to the united states when she was 17, close to 45 years ago. But soon she will be an American like the rest of us.

For as long as I can remember I have been telling her she needs to become a naturalized citizen. She's worked in the U.S. for 45 years, paid taxes for 45 years, complained about the presidents and how she would have done different if she could have voted for 45 years, and even bore 3 children to the U.S. I say it like that because EVERY one of us has served or is serving in this country's military and although we embrace our Dominican culture, we are extremely patriotic and loyal to our country. I would have to say, I was so proud of my mother today. To be able to take this journey with her, and welcome her as a fellow countryman today.
My mother, the AMERICAN.










Blogger Tips - Get This Gadget

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations to your mother. And congrats to the US of A for adding such a fine countryman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat for your mom...I would be proud too!! And I love the alien converstaion...too funny..and cute! lol!

    ReplyDelete

WE absolutely LOVE comments... Thank you for taking the time to stop by, and I appreciate you leaving me your thoughts and ideas...